Sunday, 26 December 2010

History of Stamford Bridge Part 2



Continued version of History of Stamford Bridge: in case you missed the part ! - Read it HERE


Parker and mears first step was to visit Glasgow, home of three biggest football grounds in the world, and the man who had responsible for their design, Archibald.
Suitably impressed, the pair returned to London and by early 1905 the work at Stamford Bridge was well under way. Like leitch’s Glasgow designs, the London ground was to be a large bowl with one main stand, on the east side. That stand was to hold 5000 seated, with a covered paddock in the front and was virtually identical to the leitch build for Fulham and Tottenham at the same time (and Huddersfield a few years later) with that distinctive central gable.
The other three sides were open banking, built up with thousand of tones of sand and clay excavated during the construction of the London underground nearby. Gradually the earth was raised up to form the present familiar bowl shape, and extra cinders were brought in from the local sewer.
Stamford bridge it was claimed ‘will stagger humanity’ with a capacity of 95000 a figure tested only once. It was the second biggest stadium in the England after crystal palace, which had its own professional club installed.
Mears offered Fulham the chance to rent the ground for £1500 year, but they choose to develop their own home at craven cottage 1950, so mears had no alternative then to form his own club. The story is well told elsewhere, so suffice to say here that Chelsea was born in April 1905, without players but with a strong board of directors.